Here’s the REAL reason you’re stuck in a job you hate (& what to do about it…)
How long have you been thinking about starting your own business?
I’m guessing, if you’re anything like me, you’ve toyed with the idea for years.
So often I meet people who think they’re not capable of starting a business – their skills aren’t good enough, their portfolio isn’t good enough, they’re not creative enough, not educated enough… but those are just stories they tell themselves.
After talking to 100’s of people, I can tell you that your skills or experience have little to do with your success when it comes to entrepreneurship.
Do you want to know the real reason you’re still stuck?
- Fear disguised as perfectionism.
- Fear disguised as self-doubt.
- Fear disguised as depression or anxiety.
- Fear disguised as laziness.
Fear is real b*tch.
Did you know that your body has the same fear response to self-promotions as it does to a bus coming at you?!
REALLY! Your brain doesn’t understand the difference between real danger (the bus) and perceived danger (the threat of rejection).
That means you have the same PANIC response when you’re thinking of launching your business that you would if you were playing in traffic.
So, naturally, you find ways to avoid taking the action that will get you out of your job.
- You suddenly find yourself very, very busy and unable to prioritize yourself or your sidehustle
- You mysteriously fall sick just when you’re about to hit send on that email blast or publish your site
- You magically find a reason why your job is going to get better in 6 months and you should TOTALLY just stick it out (again)
- You realize the kitchen sink hasn’t been cleaned in ages and must be scrubbed RIGHT now, or you will die.
Procrastination is a form of fear too.
You’re not lazy, and you don’t lack self-control.
So, how can you outsmart your brain and get unstuck?
1. Tell yourself the whole story.
If you can’t get yourself to publish your website, find out what you’re afraid of. Then ask yourself what would REALLY happen if you launched with a typo. Would you actually die? Or would you just fix the typo? Take the fear out of the story you’re telling yourself.
2. Create a sense of confidence. See yourself actually succeeding instead of telling yourself you can’t, by creating a plan you’re confident in and by making small steps everyday. Feel confident in your ability to run your own business, and feel proud for taking action.
Your mindset is the #1 factor in your business success.
This is why we spend the first 4 weeks of our time together in Six Figure Freelancers on vision, planning and goals.
We create a vision for your life that’s so powerful you’re actually inspired to move forward and take action.
And we uncover some of those habits that have kept you from success in the past so you can outsmart your brain.
Ready to stop finding excuses and start your own business?
Learn how you can get started in my Ebook.
There is no time like NOW to change your life.
Header Photo by Austin Chan on Unsplash.